Sunday, August 22, 2010

Joe's Journey



Joe left yesterday morning on a trip that I'm sure will change him forever.  He is going on his first medical mission trip to Trujillo, Peru.  He is really excited, but over the last couple days before he left, I could sense a little hesitation about leaving.  I hope, for him, it is the best experience of his life and that he comes back a better person than either of us expected because of what I know God is capable of doing.  

This past week was an unusual one for Joe.  Normally he moans and groans about the kids and me being on facebook whenever he is at home.  He thinks its "crazy" for us to want to talk to people on the computer!  Let's just say, he's not that fond of computers, unless, of course, it is to find a new grill, a new gadget for a tractor, a place to go on vacation...well, you get the point.  Anyway, earlier last week, we reluctantly decided that the best way for us to stay in touch while he was in Peru, was probably to get him an account on facebook. (Phone calls are $4.49/minute) At first I thought I'd make up some random name so that no one could recognize him, except me and the kids, and no one would try to request him to be a friend....clean, easy, no problem....but when it came to choosing a name for him, I just couldn't put another name.....call me crazy, wouldn't be the first time, but I just didn't want to be chatting with him and his name be Johnny Johnson.......that would just be really weird, so I gave him his real name.  By the first day he had 7 friend requests and he just looked at me and shook his head!  We only accepted one, our pastor, and now Joe is on facebook.  

I just talked to him and they made it safely and were heading to their hotel for a little rest before they start their first day.  He said the weather is about 67 degrees and it feels wonderful compared to the triple digit temps we have had here for the last 3 or 4 weeks.  

Out with the old, in with the new!!  School has started back and I am determined to get more organized!!  So, out with the old!!


School has started and so far I think both kids are enjoying it.  



Anna is ready to be in highschool, but still has one more year in junior high.  A lot of her friends are moving up this year and she is sad about that.  She decided on the first day of school to stop playing in the band.  The practice times were conflicting with the practice times of cheerleading and it was going to be really time consuming for her...more than she wanted.  Jake likes each of his 3 teachers in 6th grade.  His homeroom teacher is Mrs. Vire.  Anna had her in 6th grade and really liked her.  He signs up for football on Thursday.


We have had 2 birthdays since I last posted...man I didn't realize it had been so long...first it was Anna's day on August 1.....


This is Joe's cake..his birthday is August 12.  Jake and I decided to do a fun cake for him.  His Kubota tractor, John Deere lawn mower and Honda fourwheeler stole the show on his cake.  

A few more pictures....


last night just before sunset


I think she likes the corn I have been throwing out for her..



Our latest landscaping project..it was a Mother's Day present for ME!!  I know it probably doesn't look like much, but believe me....it is a BIG improvement!


Dixie is ready for fall.....it is too darn hot!!


 By for now....

1 comment:

Steph said...

Wow, that's amazing! I will keep him in my prayers.